6.25.2009

A Mish Mash, If You Will

Don't expect any big things from my bloggie blog today. I'm sick. Without climbing up on my soapbox to make my usual speech about my consitution and why it's always failing me, let's just say I have a crappy immune system. If you're carrying a bug, you're passing it off to me. That is definite. I have a fun little throat-sore-in', chest congestin', headachin' thing right now. I'm down, but not out.

Anyway, I haven't posted in a few days because I have been a girl on the move. Last weekend, Muscles & I made a quickie trip down to South Carolina to visit one of my best friends and her brand new baby girl. This is Hypochondriac Friend (Hypo for short). The little bundle of joy was only 4 days old on the day we arrived, so we stayed in a hotel and just popped in for a couple of visits. Hypo was gracious enough to allow this and put up with my many questions. Babies are just an ongoing mystery to me. The more I see them, the more questions I have about what in the heck to do with them. So... Hypo decides to teach me a few things, in her roundabout, I-didn't-intend-to, way.

About an hour after we arrived, LBJ (little bundle of joy) was getting hungry. LBJ is so very small and precious that her mouth is too small to breastfeed just yet. To prepare her to breastfeed, Hypo feeds her through a tiny tube sitting on her finger. LBJ sucks on her finger and thus, milk comes from the tube. Hypo says this is necessary so she does not get something called Nipple Confusion. Again, I was confused. LBJ, on the other hand, knew what was up. She was content as far as I could tell.

But I need to clarify something before I go on. One of Hypo's greatest qualities is her ability to be completely honest, blunt. In fact, it may be my favorite thing about her. Hypo has been known to get into a TMI situation at least once a day. But the great thing about this is that you know what to expect. Hypo has really been preparing me for pregnancy and childbirth in this way. I can safely say I am now more scared than ever. What I don't understand is why God makes our bodies for the amazing purpose of childbirth and yet, recovering from it makes it difficult to take care of said LBJ. I suppose it teaches you a lesson.

I have lots more to say, so I'll add to this later. But for now, I'm sick and I have to get some work done. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment